Wednesday, March 9, 2011

WODs, Certs, Goats... oh my!

So March has begun, and with an atypical start. I had the same realization last week, that I did last summer - my Olympic lifting form is atrocious. Specifically my snatch. Going into olympic lifts (and many CrossFit movements) I'm aware that I don't exploit my hips enough to properly or efficiently complete the movements. I use some strength, where I shouldn't and I lack technique where its needed. With that awareness, I need to allocate more time to improving. I have them all on my list of "Goats". Here's the definition for Goats:

'The "Goat" concept (introduced to me by San Francisco CrossFit) is simple. A "Goat" is an exercise or movement you suck at, hate, or both. This can include anything from running, thrusters, handstands, or stretching your hamstrings. This point is, we should work harder at the things we suck at instead of always trying to improve what we're already good at. Spending some time during your warm-up or cool-down to improve some of your "goats" will make a HUGE difference in how fast you progress!'

So my list of Goats is extensive, as I feel it should be; there's always something to improve. Since I need to better my form, and that will be a long journey for me, I decided to enlist the aid of a pair of weightlifting shoes. After a moderate amount of time researching what was out, and the varying attributes for each pair, I ended up spending a lot of money on a pair of Nike Romaleos which are going to help me with the most important part of any olympic lift, the footing. I got those in the mail last night, so I will use them for the first time today. (I ordered from Rogue Fitness which is a Columbus, Ohio based company and I can't say enough great things about them) I don't like Rogue because of their overwhelming presence within the community, I like them for selfish reasons. I've ordered from them before and will always order from them in the future. They are professional, profficient, extensive, knowledgeable, caring, successful, pro-America, community supportive. I appreciate their values, and integrity.

I just got an email this morning that the two lead trainers at CrossFit CLE, where I workout, have resigned and are moving on to a different place. This is an unexpected turn of events for me. I didn't work closely with them or daily like many members of our box, but they were a main reason I joined this affiliate over others. (There are other affiliates located closer to my home, but the trainers at CLE heavily influenced my decision since they'd be helping me with my terrible form)
So goodbye to them, they'll be missed.

And to end on a silver lining; I'm going on a vacation this weekend. I'm going down to Columbus, Ohio to possibly meet up with some influental individuals within the CrossFit community, and to get a WOD in. Then I'm going to continue on south into South Carolina where I'll be visiting family and training with three of the best trainers I've had the privledge to train with.
(Still considering the Level One cert in April - alright, truth be told, I signed up - Im nervous about passing the test)

No comments:

Post a Comment