Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Vacation Recap and what's been learned

Let me first say that my visit to Rogue Columbus was a great one. I went down for an evening wod on my way to South Carolina for the week. I met the trainer Brandon who was informative and effective with the large group we had. 
(picture is @ Rogue Columbus, I'm in the back of the class in the middle of the two rows)

Continuing south the next morning, I got down to beautiful South Carolina with a full week ahead to CrossFit and relax. Plenty of both would happen. While I was down there, enjoying incredible weather all week long and even better food (mostly Paleo) we managed to CrossFit six of the seven days I was there.
My brother is a trainer down at CFHH, when he's not coaching and he's participating in the WOD, we are pretty competitive. Needless to say, we went back and forth during the week with winning over each other. The first open WOD came out while I was there, and of course - the exercises are two goats of mine. Double unders and snatches.... I am registered for the open, but currently not ranked amongst the top. Oh, I set two PRs while at CFHH last week - my behind the neck jerk: 205lbs, and my power clean: also 205lbs.
Also while down there, I did some college visiting. I'm going to look into the real possibility of moving down to SC for three reasons; to spend time with my brother and his family, to entrench myself with some extraordinary trainers, and to finish my degree in a much more comfortable climate than Ohio's. (more to follow as details arise)
While in SC, I had the good fortune of meeting up with a great friend of mine from active duty. His name is Jonny Five Aces, and he's the man who introduced me to CrossFit while we were serving together in Iraq in 2007.  (Me and Jon from left to right)
This man is a stud... he ran just over two miles from where he was staying to the CFHH box to do a WOD with my brother and me. Once the workout ended, he hit the pavement again, back to where he was staying to rejoin his family on their vacation... Stud. (David, Me, Jon from left to right)

Once I came back to CLE, I still had momentum from my CFHH experience, so I worked on my back squat form with two trainers this past weekend. Their cues and input helped me to PR my back squat at: 305lbs. I am very happy with all my PRs, as everyone should be. However, like any true CrossFiter - I already have a new goal in my mind and I'm committed to working towards it.
In the immediate future, there's a road trip and a definite Level One Cert on my calendar. I am reading the Level One packet feverishly, because I want to succeed. The possibility of failure has limited me in past (and still does), so merely attending this Cert is part therapeutic for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment