Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Coffee, clementines and "california road trip"

Not a bad way to start the day... I've been communicating with my brother a lot lately, he told me about the "California Road Trip" series in the CrossFit Journal, so I've been laughing at those over the last couple days.
About two weeks ago, my brother started talking about eating Clementine Oranges. When he was telling some of us about how good they were, he was enjoying his fourth of that day. The Clementine conversations persisted for days. I found myself seeking them out at the store this week, because they were still on my mind from the previous weeks conversations. Thanks DC, I can't eat just one at a time. They're great for breakfast, a snack, and for post-wod to get something to eat right away.


The workouts that I've done over the last week are listed below.
Jan 7th - I was all amped up to do "Murph" here at home. Its not a WOD that requires a ton of equipment, so I was going to do it at home. I got ready, headed outside and realized that it was 18` F, and we had accumulated a couple inches of snowfall overnight. I have to do the pullups on a swingset in the back yard, find a place to do the pushups and air squats and then run the miles out on the street.


The conditions weren't ideal so I called an audible:
WOD-
7 rnds of:
7 air squats
7 burpees
Time of 4:05


Jan 10th -  My XO (executive officer) from when I was active duty, was a guy nicknamed Jonny 5 Aces. We're both from Ohio, me from Cleveland, he's from Canton. We became friends right away when we met and we are still good friends today. He introduced me to CrossFit in.... early 2007 I'd say. He was in Ohio this week visting family, and he met me downtown on Monday for a proper WOD at CrossFit CLE and then some grub afterwards. We ate at Mallorca downtown and the food could not have been any better. The workout was:
WOD-
For time:
40 wall balls (20LB)
20 kettlebell push press (55/35)
40 double-unders (kept missing, ended up doing 80 regulars)
20 deadlifts (225/185)
40 walking lunge steps
20 GHD sit-ups
40 box jumps (24/18)
20 wall climbs (on a box)

Time of 22:15
I wasn't really happy with my time for this. The deadlift should have been easier than it was. I struggled with the kettlebell push press, that was a lot of weight and the wall climbs at the end of the workout (for me) were not doable. My shoulders were smoked. So after one wall climb, and two failed attempts at a second wall climb, I did 20 reps with my feet on a box and walked my hands in towards the box (as I walked my hands in, my ass went up towards the sky). I'm describing it because I can't find any video examples of it. Overall, this WOD should have been easier for me, the weights exhausted me right away and the cardio made me suck wind the entire workout so it was difficult to move from exercise to exercise. I also messed around with the rings a little bit today for the first time after the WOD.


Jan 11th -  Really excited about this workout. I was able to make time to get downtown and finally attend an evening WOD, which I hadn't done before. I was driving downtown during rush hour, and in what some were calling a "snow storm". Its about 33 miles and 45 minutes drive for me to get to the box. Well with the weather and traffic, it took an hour and ten minutes to get down there. I was getting concerned texts saying maybe I could just workout tomorrow, and that I shouldn't be out in this weather. I had a blast with this workout. Don't get me wrong, it got shitty and a lot quicker than I thought it would.
WOD -
4 rounds for time of:
4 squat clean thruster (135lb)
8 burpees
12 pull-ups


My time was 9:50. I was content with this time, sub-ten. I was more happy that I was able to do the 16 reps of 135lb squat clean thrusters. On the second round I thought to myself, "135, what the fuck was I thinking?" That weight was heavy. I could have done better on my time by not getting sips of water through the workout or spitting into the garbage, but for me for right now, it's what I have to do to get through the WODs. One of the trainers did the same weight as me and we started the WOD at the same time... he was done in 5:09.


After the WOD, I worked on double unders, I did 3 rounds of 5 dips (focusing on Range Of Motion), I rolled my spine on a pair of taped together lacrosse balls, and I worked on opening my shoulders.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe you blogged about clementines!

    -The Rooster

    ReplyDelete