Tuesday, November 11, 2014

thanks

Yesterday was the 239th Marine Corps birthday, I met a Marine who fought in WWII, and Korea. He was from Pittsburgh, lives in South Carolina now. He had some great stories, that he fondly told, some which evoked deep emotions. Earlier in the day, I got to visit my friend, who was a soldier in Vietnam, who also talked with me about memories from the past. I then hung out with a veteran of Afghanistan and we shared some stories of the middle east, some humorous similarities.
Most veterans that I know do not freely speak about where they've been or what they've seen. That, as well as the protective mind-frame they carry can sometimes give an aura of disinterest. This isn't always the case. After this weekend, and spending time with those guys who have lived several lifetimes beyond their service, I've realized that I am just grateful to still be alive. The daily tasks and stressors can become too much sometimes, but they're really nothing insurmountable. They're objectives, which are can be overcome, much like everything else already in our wake.

To all veterans of America, those who deployed and not. Thank you for your service. I will live this entire lifetime thankful for my experiences while serving. More so for the guys that I met and spent time with and genuinely for still being alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment