Thursday, April 25, 2019

Sensory Deprivation experience



I tried sensory deprivation this weekend.
I was talking with a trusted friend, who does it regularly. He eliminated every excuse I fed him, about why I haven't tried it, and why I wasn't anxious to do it.
In truth, I am and was afraid to let go. Not only in this setting, but most of the time... I am afraid to let go physically, and mentally.
I drone on about how if I let go (relax) then I could lose my perceived edge, but I also think that's bs.
I was worried that while floating in the sound-proof, light-less, salt-water filled tank, things that I have suppressed in my mind, would come flooding back in, and overwhelm me - also bs.
I was worried that I wouldn't do it right, or that nothing would come of this experience.

What this experience ended up being, was a nice way to do some deeper thinking, or thorough thinking, completely uninterrupted from anything external.
I was able to (mostly) remain in control of the thoughts in my mind, and how long I spent on each topic. There was no way to actually tell if I spent one minute or 30 minutes on any topic, and topics flashed into my mind, but like meditation, I was able to refocus on my breathing and clear those pesky thoughts.

There were times when it felt like I was dreaming, but I never fell asleep. There were times, most of it, when I felt like I was floating in space, or what I'd imagine that to be like.

What I took from this, was that it allowed me to think all the way through some things. It allowed me to look at some stuff in my head from different angles, and get to a point where I could put those things to rest. I didn't really unpack anything heavy, or deep, but I could in the future. Now, I can move forward, with less distracting thoughts/ideas in my mind, allowing me to be slightly more present, and slightly less bogged down. I tend to ruminate, or decide impulsively.
I hope this experience, and doing it again, will allow me to move forward in a way that is less manic.

No comments:

Post a Comment