Thursday, June 6, 2013

What I learned


There are two things that I learned in basic training; personal accountability and attention to detail. Those were repeatedly drilled into my head as I progressed through my time in the Army. It came to a point in my service, where if you lacked personal accountability, and if you decided to forego details, then there was a very real chance that you would not live long past those poor decisions.
This has carried beyond my service and applies to everyday life. Some of this may sound ridiculous but:
I don't skip a belt loop when I put a belt on.
If I see a piece of trash while walking, I pick it up and throw it away.
I admit when I am wrong (that was a tough thing to learn then apply, even tougher is to not hide in that).
I think about how my decisions will directly affect those around me (over think more often than not).
I clean up after myself.
I wash my whole body when I shower, I brush all my teeth when I brush em.
I clip all my toe nails when I clip them, see where I'm going with this?

Those last couple were fuckin ridiculous, right? I'm trying to make a point. If you wash all of your body, why wouldn't you pick up a piece of trash that you're walking over? If you clip all of your nails, instead of 8 out of 10, why wouldn't you fucking hold a door for someone right behind you?

If you extrapolate this ideology to a discipline that you enjoy, say weightlifting, you will (at least mentally) be much better equipped for the road ahead. You will take the details of the lifts, and you will value them. You will welcome research, and homework. You will value the details, because each is something which can be fine tuned. You will accept punishment in the form of training. Not going through the motions, but training to improve at this discipline. You will continue to clock in, accept the beatings, then clock out. You will value the small, finite improvements when they happen. (All the while, knowing that this wasn't as easy as you thought or had hoped, and you still are hungry for more.) You will accept these circumstances each time you clock in/ lace up/ go to work. Not everyday will make sense, not everyday shows hope, that's right. You are not owed a single ounce of hope, you have to earn it with the constant (perhaps lifelong) attention to detail and personal accountability.

No comments:

Post a Comment